Monday, 4 June 2012

Dead Doxy and Scenic Bases

I finished painting the 'Dead doxy' model last night and I am particularly proud with paint job on this one.
It might be because I chose to paint red, which is my favourite colour to paint (most of my previous Warhammer armies included red in the main colour scheme).
Starting with a black undercoat I first started with the flesh using my standard zombie flesh palette of 'Sunny Skin Tone', working up 1-2 layers to 'Light flesh', followed by 'Green ink' and then working back another 2-3 layers of 'Sunny Skin Tone'/ 'Light Flesh'. Touching up areas with the ink or final highlight where necessary.
After completing the flesh I moved onto the Red gloves & stockings. Starting with a GW 'Scab Red' I highlighted up 2-3 layers to GW 'Blood Red' which was then followed with an ink wash of Newton & Windsors 'Peat Brown Ink' to bring out the recesses and tone down the colour again. This was then highlighted back from a 50:50 Scab Red/Blood Red mix with 3-4 layers towards the 'Carmine Red' and then another 1-2 layers towards a 70:30 mix of Carmine Red/Pink on the edge details.
With the red complete I then moved onto the Green details, which where based on GW 'Woodland Green'  (the very old GW' / coat D'arm range with the cylindrical white top bottles, which I was pleased to see is still flowing nicely and will probably last another 10 years without drying up!), I needed a couple of un-thinned coats to cover the black undercoat, which where then followed by the 'green' ink wash. After the ink was I worked up 3-4 layers to 'Goblin green' which was then followed by another 3-4 layers working from 'Goblin green' to 'Flat Yellow' on the very edge of the details.
The lace trims where then painted with 'Gold Brown' with just 2-3 layers of lightly thinned GW 'Bleached Bone' (again from an older GW range with the hexagonal prism white topped bottle) to the edge of the trims.
I then moved onto the Black Areas (Corset, Boots and Parasol handle) which taking a tip from a good friend of mine Jon Kerr , I simply highlighted the black with sparse thin lines of 'London Grey' along the edges. This method produced a much better result than all my previous attempts to highlight black (which I have never been 100% happy with).
The Black hair was actually highlighted with a drybrush of 'Intense Blue' which gives a more natural looking Raven hair and differentiates the hair from the items of clothing.
With just a few more pint touch ups and small details I finished the model in time for Twitters #miniaturemonday :) (@willlambert4)



I also finished off some Victorian style scenic bases, which I intend to use for objective markers.

So really please with my painting this last week and moving on to my next model shortly which will be Avatar Seamus (The Hulk lookalike :))

Just to finish off this blog post Ill show you a picture of my 3 year old Daughters miniature painting after she wanted to have a go using some of my old paints and brushes :)




No comments:

Post a Comment